Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Earthquakes, hurricanes, and terrorist alerts. Oh my!

September 11, 2011

I know. I’m a terrible blogger. I just haven’t had it in me to write the past couple weeks.
We survived the earthquake, which was kind of a joke for anyone from the West. We survived the hurricane. Anouska, Adam, and I went upstate to the Hudson Valley where Adam’s parents live. Funny thing is the Hudson Valley ended up getting hit worse than NYC did. We lost power Saturday night upstate. Not only did we lose power, but we lost the ability to have running water and flushing toilets. Adam’s parents conveniently have their water pump hooked up through electricity. Oh goodie. When we tried to get home Sunday night we found that some of the roads had been washed away, trees were blocking others, and the main freeway we needed was closed. It was nightmarish. We didn’t make it home till 6pm Monday. I missed work and Anouska’s classes were canceled. Nousk and I drank lots of wine with dinner Monday night. We needed it. Adam was great throughout it all, trying to strategize how to get us home, how to get us power, etc. It was definitely an experience.

Jen and Nick came to visit last weekend. It was really great to see them. I had a great time going around with them. Jen and I ran 5 miles on Friday morning through Central Park. We ran by Mark Ruffalo who was out on a stroll with his son. Jen didn’t realize who he was, but I had been staring him down trying to decide whether he really was Ruffalo or not. As I passed within inches of him and looked right in his face, I decided it was totally him. My first celebrity spotting! We had sushi with Adam and Anouska that night, and Adam gave us a tour of his lab at Columbia, which was really cool and nerdy. Saturday I called around on apartments then went shopping with Jen and Nick. We all got really tired shopping (poor us) and went back to their hotel for a bit before heading out for dinner at this small Italian place that I can’t remember the name of. Oops. It was good though. Afterwards, Jen and I sat for a while in the bar at their hotel and drank amazing sangria. Dangerously sweet and tasty sangria. Sunday night I went for a pint with Jen and Nick at this Irish pub called St. James Gate. It was a nice little pub with decent enough nachos and sweet potato fries. Monday morning me, Jen and Nick, and Anouska and Adam had brunch at Alice’s Teacup, which is an Alice in Wonderland –themed tearoom. So cool! While we were waiting for a table, we strolled around and Adam pointed out Strawberry Field to us and the hotel where John Lennon was shot. After brunch we said our goodbyes to Jen and Nick, then decided to hoof it back uptown. Anouska finally allowed Adam to buy a chalkboard to hang up in the apartment. He was so thrilled that he bought it on our walk home from brunch with Jen and Nick.

I started school on Tuesday along with my new part-time job at Teachers College Press. I’m still working at Mediabistro, but it is only part time as well. So far I am enjoying my TCP job. It is a 10 minute walk from the apartment. TCP is affiliated with Teachers College, which is part of Columbia University. I will be working two days a week for the business/accounting part of the press, and one day for acquisitions, licensing, and permissions. I’m learning a lot about publishing from the job, and have been able to apply some of the information I’ve learned in class to this job. Speaking of classes, I’ve had two of my three classes and thoroughly enjoyed them. My Book Publishing instructor is the publisher for Harper, which is an imprint of HarperCollins. He knows what he is talking about because it is what he does daily. I am a bit star struck by him. My Multimedia Financial Analysis (gag) instructor is interesting and knows the business well too. He works for NBC. I think I’ll continue to enjoy my classes, especially since there are only 12 people per class. Apparently there are only 100 students in the M.S. Publishing program total. I like the smaller classes. I also like that I can easily walk the 10 blocks from Mediabistro to my classes.

September 14, 2011

Anouska and I looked at two apartments tonight. I liked them both and plan on applying for them. I have decided to appoint Anouska as my General Counsel. She did all the talking with the broker. She is really good at it. She shall make a fine lawyer.

Dan arrives this Saturday. I am so excited. It will be brilliant to finally have him here with me.

We are now in the sixth season of Monarch of the Glen, and we are not impressed. Adam keeps swearing the show off, but then watches it with us anyway.

Anouska and I have been good at exercising this week. We’ve gotten in the habit of getting up early every morning to run and do a P90x video. I have definitely noticed I have more energy throughout the day.

Ok, I am off to bed. I must become more disciplined in blogging. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment